Blog Journal #2

"Microsoft Word" by quinn.anya is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

     My experience using Microsoft Word has been very convenient as well as a life saver. When I first started using MS word, I found it difficult to maneuver because I utilized Google Docs all the time. However, in the 7th grade when I had to learn the system for a class to get my certification for high school credit, I fell in love with it. MS Word helps with grammar errors, conciseness, and helping make my school papers top tier. I do not prefer any other word processing software other than Microsoft Word unless I am doing group projects in which I found Google Docs to be easier.

    The learning standard that is most meaningful to me is standard 2.4: Collaborator. The Collaborator standard states "Educators dedicate time to collaborate with both colleagues and students to improve practice, discover and share resources and ideas, and solve problems" (ISTE). This standard is simply educators taking time to discuss with other educators and their students to find the best ways to facilitate their classes. The standard is important to K-12 educators because new ideas and improvements are necessary to improve the education of children and what better way to learn of these ideas than through discussions with other educators and the students you are teaching. 

    I agree with the tern digital natives however, I disagree with how Mark Prensky uses the term. He uses it to express that individuals who were born in the era were technology is prominent understands technology better than individuals who were not, and that is not necessarily true. Just because I am a native American does not mean I speak the American language better than someone who learned the language. It simply means I was born in America which is the same with any native to any country. So, a digital native simply means an individual who was born during the time of digital technology. I do not see any differences with how digital natives and digital immigrants utilize technology. We all learn the same technology and I do believe there are individuals who are more tech savvy than others but that does not mean we utilize technology different. Depending on what type of digital advances are made, I do believe there can be a differences between myself and my future students however, I believe I will have to adjust to what occurs during their time.

Comments

  1. Hi!

    I agree that Microsoft word is the best software to use. I use it very frequently when taking notes for my classes or working on assignments. I love the features you mentioned as well as the fact that it auto saves incase I forget and don't want to risk losing all of my work. I also like the standard you chose and agree that it is incredibly important for k12 educators. I think it is imperative that educators lean on coworkers at times where they may need some help or feedback so they can be the best teacher possible for their students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kay! I agree, Microsoft Word makes your documents look pretty and correct in terms of grammar and spelling, but I choose to use Google docs simply because it is more user friendly than Microsoft Word. I like how you described your view of digital natives. I agree while the younger generations are more used to technology allowing us to use it better, older people are able to develop the same skills. It might just take more time and patience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #9

Blog Journal #4